6th Form bursary
9th Oct 2017
6th Form bursary
Who is eligible for a bursary?
To be eligible for a bursary, you must be studying at Thorp Academy Sixth Form and be;
- aged 16 or over, but under 19 at 31st August 2017, or
- be aged 19 or over at 31st August 2017 and have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), or
- be aged 19 or over at 31st August 2017 and continuing on a study programme that you began aged 16 to 18 ('19+ continuers').
You must be facing some barriers to participation. These will be evaluated using the details given on your application form.
What are the different types of bursaries available?
There are 3 types of bursaries available;
- Bursary A: This is available to students who are either in care, are a young care leaver or receive Income Support/Employment Support Allowance/Universal Credit/Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independent Payments in their own right. This bursary is for ?30 per week, with a yearly maximum of ?1,200.
- Bursary B: This is available to students eligible for Free School Meals. Free School Meals eligibility is provided to Thorp via Gateshead Council. For further information on Free School Meals, please visit the council website www.gateshead.gov.uk/Education%20and%20Learning/Schools/School-meals/Free-school-meals.aspx
- Bursary C: This bursary is for discretionary support which any eligible sixth form student can apply for if there are individual barriers to participation. The amount available for this type of bursary will vary depending on the amount surplus after Bursary A and B students have been paid. Receipts must be obtained for any purchases made under Bursary C and handed to the school. Students claiming a Bursary C must have a household income of less than ?25,000. This must be certified by a P60 / Tax Credit Statement.
Students will not automatically receive the bursary if eligible for Free School Meals, they will need to complete an application form. This bursary is for ?20 per week, with a yearly maximum of ?800.
What can I use the bursary for?
The bursary is to help with costs related to your studies e.g. transport, books, equipment or other miscellaneous costs associated with your course.
How do I apply?
Applications forms are available on the Thorp Academy website and in person from the Sixth Form Office. Please send completed application forms along with supporting documentation to Mrs Rodrigues.
Are there any conditions attached to the bursary?
Yes - payments will be made weekly dependant on your attendance, behaviour and effort.
How will I know if my application has been approved?
We will email you to let you know the outcome of your application. We will also contact you if we need more information from you to process your application.
How do we pay the bursary?
The bursary will be paid via BACS Transfer. It is essential that you have a bank account in your name, as payments can only be made into your own account via a BACS transfer. Cash payments will not be made.
It is important that you make sure that your bank or building society is able to accept BACS transfers before you provide your bank account details.
Post Office accounts and some Credit Unions do not accept BACS payments. It's worth checking if your account will accept the payments before you apply.
Bursary A and B payments will be made weekly in arrears on the Friday following confirmation of attendance and effort from the sixth-form team. There may be occasions when payment is delayed. Remittance advice notes will be emailed to the email address provided on the application from submitted to confirm payments made. Payments will be backdated to the date the application is received by the academy if appropriate.
Bursary C payments will be made when required. Receipts must be obtained and given to the Academy.
What if my circumstances change?
If you have a change of personal circumstances such as a change of address or benefits received, you must let us know immediately in writing. Any over payments will be repayable.